Friday 19 July 2013

Making butter

 Freshly churned butter & butter milk
 Buttermilk and rinsed butter
Taadaa, Thermomix made butter!

I have been making my own butter for a while now. For a start it is cheaper and it only takes about 5 minutes in total to make (as per the recipe in the Everyday Cookbook). I use the WA brand Harvey Fresh whipping cream and usually have two 600ml cartons in my fridge ready to go. The other great thing about making your own butter is collecting the butter milk to use in other recipes.
A good tip for getting your butter to last as long as possible is to rinse it twice with cold water instead of once. This makes sure you get rid of any excess butter milk, which goes off before the butter solids.

We have pancakes most Saturday mornings, so our butter milk generally get used for these. The Everyday cookbook has a recipe for buttermilk bread, and it can be used in a lot of other baking recipes. After I have made the butter I usually don't bother washing the jug and make either a batch of spreadable butter or a cake or some biscuits, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment